Despite my healthy lifestyle, and knowledge of good & bad food… I still find it hard to not “give in”, and eat an entire basket of fried tortilla chips (with a pound of guac and salsa)… but bikini season has already come where I live. Even more important, giving into the greasy crunch often means a ton of bad, oxidized oils, & gmo corn (hmm, doesn’t sound as appetizing anymore). Here’s a healthier fix for tortilla chips: Baked Zucchini chips. You can make them with added garlic salt and dip in guacamole, or with parmesan, and this mint-lime dip recipe! Follow the easy recipe below, or print it here: Baked Zucchini Chips pdf, to bake these wonderful healthy chips. Kids love this as a snack or side dish!
Baked Zucchini Chips with Mint lime Dip
I have also used organic coconut oil to fry, if you chose to fry- get the oil very hot before placing in the pan. Choose slender, smaller zucchini squash for these chips.
- 1 cup ground almond meal
- 1 cup brown rice, sorghum flour, * g-free breadcrumbs work well
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 4 slender, firm zucchini squash
- 1 large organic free-range egg
Optional: replace ½ amount of flour with Parmesan cheese.
1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
2. In a wide bowl, whisk together the almond meal, sorghum flour, sea salt and garlic powder. Set aside.
3. Rinse and trim zucchini ends. Evenly slice the squash to create 1/4-inch thick chips. (Mandoline preferred). IMPORTANT: pat the slices dry with a paper towel and set aside.
4. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg and set aside.
5. Dip each zucchini slice into the beaten egg, and allow excess to drip off. Dredge the coated slice in the gluten-free flour mix of choice, patting it to coat both sides.
6. Place each slice onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the oven, after ten minutes turn the chips over and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the chips are golden brown.
Serve with a creamy dipping sauce:
Dairy-Free Lime-Mint Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo or Vegenaise of choice
- Juice from half a lime
- 1 packed tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Combine the the mayo, lime juice, fresh mint, sea salt and pepper. Taste test. Add more lime or mint, as you prefer.